Start by selecting the country you are travelling in and then find your travel company:
Eurostar: Small dogs and pets are not allowed on Eurostar trains, at the exception of guide dogs (please see conditions here).
ICE: Cats and small dogs carried in a basket or cage can travel free of charge within Belgium, and at 50% of the adult fare on other networks.IC:
Cats and small dogs carried in a basket or cage can travel free of charge within Belgium, and at 50% of the adult fare on other networks.
Your four legged-friend is welcome, under the following conditions: if you’re bringing your pet along, remember to book his ticket when you book your own. You can travel with up to two dogs or two containers per person on all SNCF trains except Eurostar.
If your dog or other pet weighs less than 6 kg:
- they must travel in a bag or basket no larger than 45 cm x 30 cm x 25 cm
- the fare is €7 per pet on TGV, Intercités and TER trains.
If your dog or other pet weighs more than 6 kg:
- they must wear a muzzle during the entire journey
- their fare will be 50% of the full 2nd class fare (even if you travel in 1st class) on TGV, Intercités and TER trains
- pet-specific fares are available on other types of trains.
To access more of the SNCF fares and conditions, please click on this link.
ICE and IC (InterCity)
Pets are welcome and may board free of charge, as long as they fit into a transport case (i.e. they are no larger than the average house cat). They must remain in the transport case for the duration of the train ride.
Your pet is welcome, under the following conditions:
- small pets must be kept in the appropriate container no larger than 70x30x50cm (inches??) and are admitted free of charge.
Each passenger can bring only one container.
- Dogs of any size, kept on a leash and muzzled, are admitted on board of the following trains with these conditions:
- IC and Freccia trains: in first and second class, and in Business and Standard class, by purchasing a ticket 50% of the full 2nd class fare at any Trenitalia ticket office. Purchased on site.
Animals are not allowed in Executive and Premium class, in sleeping cars, couchette cars, and Restaurant/Bar wagons*.
- Regional trains: in the vestibule of the last wagon of any regional trains, except for trains running from 7 am to 9 am between Mondays and Fridays (rush hour)*. The fare is 50% of the full 2nd class fare, and tickets can be purchased at any Trenitalia ticket office.
- Thello train: if the pet weighs less than 5kg, it travels for free in the appropriate container which then is considered as a piece of luggage (please, see Luggage Restrictions above).
If the pet weighs between 5 and 50 kg, it is allowed on board under the following conditions:
- A cabin needs to be booked for your exclusive use. (If you are traveling alone, you have to book a single cabin.) Maximum one dog per cabin.
- The fee is € 50 to the crew exclusively on board (by credit card or in cash).
- The dog should always be leashed and muzzled when leaving the cabin, boarding and unboarding the train.
Before traveling with a large dog, it is strongly recommended to inform Thello by means of the contact form that you find on Thello website.
*This does not apply to guide dogs for the visually impaired.
- Animals under 10kg
All pets weighing under 10 kilograms can travel free of charge and must be kept in an appropriate container, in the luggage spaces or next to the seat. Each passenger can bring only one container.
- Dogs over 10 kilograms
Large dogs are allowed on board by paying an extra fee of 50€ and only if the owner booked aFlex fare for Comfort, Smart or Prima ambiance. The dog needs to be kept on a leash and wear a muzzle when getting on and off the train, and if requested by the NTV staff. It is necessary to book the service at least 2 hours prior departure by calling Italo Contact Center at 060708.
These regulations do not apply to guide dogs for the visually impaired
Transportation of pets is limited to small animals like: dogs, cats, ferrets, and birds (not poultry). Not exceeding 10kg in weight. Your pet should have a valid health and sanitary documentation under the current legislation.
One pet per passenger, provided that there is a cage, carrier or closed container with dimensions not exceeding 60x35x35 cm.
Fees may apply on AVE and other long distance trains.
Of course, guide dogs can travel on any train for free.
For more information see the Renfe pet policies.
Passengers are permitted to take up to two dogs, cats or other small animals free of charge. Dogs must be kept on a lead or carried in a basket, a basket is mandatory for cats and other small animals. If a basket, cage or pet carrier (max. 85x60x60cm) is used, it must be secure so that the animal cannot escape and it must be large enough to provide enough space for the animal to stand up and travel comfortably. If an animal is taking up a seat intended for passenger use then you may be charged.